Turbos

How to zhng my engine please ?

*Disclaimer* At your own risk !!!

Turbos

Postby skunky » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi brudders,

just for knowledge and understanding. The turbos used in the CGI, what kind are they? Light pressured? How does it differ from the normal turbos besides the fact that its for low end and the latter for high? (Correct me if im wrong)

Any boost figures? Is it upgradable? Will a BOV fit?

Was trying to cross the road at Bugis, saw this matt black C-Class zooming pass, loud with a BOV sound.
skunky
Kopi

Re: Turbos

Postby SUPERVIRUS » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 pm

skunky wrote:Hi brudders,

just for knowledge and understanding. The turbos used in the CGI, what kind are they? Light pressured? How does it differ from the normal turbos besides the fact that its for low end and the latter for high? (Correct me if im wrong)

Was trying to cross the road at Bugis, saw this matt black C-Class zooming pass, loud with a BOV sound.

Bro skunky,
The CGI models has a turbo with an intercooler..thus it's a full blown turbo. Unlike those found in Saab & earlier Volvo models which are LPT.
The turbo can certainly be upgraded, but that's a big mod job. There are several aftermarket simple mod job that give decent increase in bhp...namely piggybacks. If your wallet is bigger, you can even add a bigger intercooler with cutom tuned piggyback (Carrlson) for a bigger punch. :happy:
SUPERVIRUS

Postby Yapst6543 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Tq Dr..
Learn something today !!!
MercKaki YapST
Yapst6543
Blue Mountain

Postby skunky » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:32 am

SUPERVIRUS wrote:

Bro skunky,
The CGI models has a turbo with an intercooler..thus it's a full blown turbo. Unlike those found in Saab & earlier Volvo models which are LPT.
The turbo can certainly be upgraded, but that's a big mod job. There are several aftermarket simple mod job that give decent increase in bhp...namely piggybacks. If your wallet is bigger, you can even add a bigger intercooler with cutom tuned piggyback (Carrlson) for a bigger punch. :happy:

Hey Bro,

thanks for the explanation. I always thought I'm having an LPT under the hood until i heard the BOV goes off from a C-Class, very decent noise, not the high pitched type. So i'd presume our friend is having the same turbo just that he installed an aftermarket BOV.

Thanks for the recommendation bro, i've done my piggyback.

Cheers!!
skunky
Kopi

Postby Yapst6543 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:52 pm

skunky wrote:
SUPERVIRUS wrote:

Bro skunky,

Hey Bro,

thanks for the explanation. I always thought I'm having an LPT under the hood until i heard the BOV goes off from a C-Class, very decent noise, not the high pitched type. So i'd presume our friend is having the same turbo just that he installed an aftermarket BOV.

Thanks for the recommendation bro, i've done my piggyback.

Cheers!!

Wow bro join our GTG tomorrow Lei!!!
Can see see feel feel ma!!!
Heeee
MercKaki YapST
Yapst6543
Blue Mountain

Postby lefthandseat » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 pm

I thought any FI engine will need an intercooler ,whether LPT or HPT,or SC, of course the bigger the intercooler or more vanes, the better it is to dissipate heat. I used to have twin SMIC..only difference is on a hot day or afternoon,car is not that laggy.
Stick to stock Bosch DV,forget the BOV. ( unless you want the sound effect )

Just my 2cts.

SUPERVIRUS wrote:

Bro skunky,
lefthandseat
Kopi

Postby SUPERVIRUS » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:31 am

lefthandseat wrote:Hi,
correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the M271 Turbo is the GT25C which is "considered"a LPT with a max boost of18psi?..which explains the almost lag-free spool up.
On a lower capacity CC engine,( the K03 will performed similarly ) but it tends to lose out on the GT high-end but very torquey n responsive in street driving. ( i think stock spool is 0.7bar if im not wrong).

btw, Any FI engine will need an intercooler ,whether LPT or HPT,or SC, of course the bigger the intercooler or more vanes, the better it is to dissipate heat. I used to have twin SMIC..only difference is on a hot day or afternoon,car is not that laggy.
Stick to stock Bosch DV,forget the BOV. ( unless you want the sound effect )

Just my 2cts.

SUPERVIRUS wrote:

Bro skunky,

LPT of earlier Saab or Volvo that we know & hear of are running at 0.3 bar at most. They do not have an inter cooler. Read...http://www.saabenthusiasts.co.uk/articles/900-Page1.htm
Unlike the CGI models which run 0.7 bar for the C200 & 1.2 bar for the C250....these are considered HPT that require an intercooler to cool the hot air for max performance.
SUPERVIRUS

Postby skunky » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Cheers!![/quote]
Wow bro join our GTG tomorrow Lei!!!
Can see see feel feel ma!!!
Heeee[/quote]

Bro Yap,

sorry for the late reply, paiseh, cant make it for the meetup, was in shanghai. Sure man, next meetup, will try to be there.
skunky
Kopi

Postby skunky » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi bro SUPERVIRUS,

thanks for the info. 0.7 and 1.2 bar between 200 and 250 is a lot of difference. Is this a tuning thingy again or you can get an aftermarket boost controller to tweak that?
skunky
Kopi

Postby SUPERVIRUS » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:03 pm

skunky wrote:Hi bro SUPERVIRUS,

thanks for the info. 0.7 and 1.2 bar between 200 and 250 is a lot of difference. Is this a tuning thingy again or you can get an aftermarket boost controller to tweak that?

No need for boost controller if you are looking to increase from 0.7 to 1.2 bar. The piggyback from Hannson can do that for you. If a car is properly tuned, there's no need for a boost controller. Good tuners generally avoid such devices....it's like a good chef avoiding ketchup in his recipe. :-))
SUPERVIRUS

Next

Return to Under The Hood