Upgrading to 17" aftermkt rims n tyres

The Sky is the Limit, so is the Depth of your Wallet

Upgrading to 17" aftermkt rims n tyres

Postby DrJ » Sat May 03, 2014 11:32 am

Dear all

Went to a tyre shop yesterday and fell in love with this rim - Vossen CV3 replica.

Went to c n c website and for 17" (for b class, w246) the rim specs are 17x7.5J, ET52.5 and tyre profile is 225/45/17.

However, this replica has offset of 45. According to mechanic, after install the rims, the rims will protrude about 1.5 cm. Is this ok and do they pose any drivability and structural issues?

Next, as my ride does not have spare tyre. I intend to get run flat tyres for the 17" rims. The mechanic recommended me two brands and models, they are:

1) Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT Runflat (made in Europe), and

2) Pirelli P7 Cinturato RFT Runflat (made in Europe).

Are these tyres good enough for local use? And between them, which one is better?

Appreciate all help and comments.

If this goes through, I would like to sell my stock 16" rims and run flat tyres (less than 1900km) Anyone interested?

Thanks in adv.
DrJ
Kopi Gao

Re: Upgrading to 17" aftermkt rims n tyres

Postby asiadj » Fri May 09, 2014 1:49 am

DrJ wrote:Dear all

Went to a tyre shop yesterday and fell in love with this rim - Vossen CV3 replica.

Went to c n c website and for 17" (for b class, w246) the rim specs are 17x7.5J, ET52.5 and tyre profile is 225/45/17.

However, this replica has offset of 45. According to mechanic, after install the rims, the rims will protrude about 1.5 cm. Is this ok and do they pose any drivability and structural issues?

Next, as my ride does not have spare tyre. I intend to get run flat tyres for the 17" rims. The mechanic recommended me two brands and models, they are:

Are these tyres good enough for local use? And between them, which one is better?

If this goes through, I would like to sell my stock 16" rims and run flat tyres (less than 1900km) Anyone interested?

Thanks in adv.

tyres were good enough for local use, between them which is better is back to own preference... there are so many brands out there, each boast their own + points.
etc mich PSS is also good, conti also got their cs5 . so it all comes back to urself.

if this goes thru, hopefully u are able to fast fast find a buyer for ur 16'' with rubbers, but in the meantime, since u buy new rim + rubber, u might as well trade in.
asiadj
Kopi C

Postby NW3939 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:32 am

asiadj wrote:

Thanks in adv.

tyres were good enough for local use, between them which is better is back to own preference... there are so many brands out there, each boast their own + points.
etc mich PSS is also good, conti also got their cs5 . so it all comes back to urself.

if this goes thru, hopefully u are able to fast fast find a buyer for ur 16'' with rubbers, but in the meantime, since u buy new rim + rubber, u might as well trade in.

Yes...I agreed with asiadj :1grin:
The Best or Nothing...

MercKaki NW3939

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NW3939
Blue Mountain

Postby asiadj » Sat May 10, 2014 3:00 am

but I advise not to post nonsense here, becos it won't help in ur Oakley biz.
asiadj
Kopi C

Postby SUPERVIRUS » Sat May 10, 2014 7:18 am

asiadj wrote:but I advise not to post nonsense here, becos it won't help in ur Oakley biz.

The irritating foreign post deleted..... :yaah:
SUPERVIRUS

Postby DrJ » Sat May 10, 2014 11:09 am

asiadj wrote:

Thanks in adv.

The shop is ripping me.. My tyres they take in for $300 only.. I'm keeping my rims since they say only worth $120 for 4. Changing the rims may also need to buy new wheel nuts.. That will cost me another $80. A little bit here and there, I might as well just stick to the present setup!
DrJ
Kopi Gao

Postby NW3939 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:45 pm

Good idea if you can still bear with it...look around and talk to more like-minded Merc owners like us :1grin: :1grin: :1grin: ...you may get "poisoned" ::-O: to do more "silly things" (mods) ::-P: ...I am sure you will enjoy it later on... :rock:

Join us in our upcoming monthly GTG on 25/5 at Kallang CP "F" between 4.00 ~ 7.00pm :thumbsup:
The Best or Nothing...

MercKaki NW3939

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NW3939
Blue Mountain

Postby asiadj » Sat May 10, 2014 11:09 pm

DrJ wrote:
asiadj wrote:

Thanks in adv.

The shop is ripping me.. My tyres they take in for $300 only.. I'm keeping my rims since they say only worth $120 for 4. Changing the rims may also need to buy new wheel nuts.. That will cost me another $80. A little bit here and there, I might as well just stick to the present setup!

bro... tyre shop not ripping u la.. rims are like that.. pretty worthless. if u wan, the metal becomes precious metal, got resale price also. rims like stock rim etc, is like "smelly metal" scrap metal price. rubber sometime got more resale value compare to rim. and these applies to dealer la.. cos they need to earn a cut ma.

so dun say the shop ripping u off la. haha. tyres also consider 2nd hand. I remember I sold brand new c class stock rim. drive out from showroom straight to dealer, they take 1200 nia. listen carefully 1.2k new rim and tyres. lol

fair enough one la. another friend, did the same after driving 2 months, same dealer take 900. rim + rubbers. 17''

for ur reference only.. lastly, bro. yea, rims are costly. nice ones, good ones, close 1 eye easily 3-4k with rubbers.

u happy jiu hao.

have a nice weekend. remember gtg come join us.
asiadj
Kopi C

Postby DrJ » Sun May 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks bro.where and when is the meetup?
DrJ
Kopi Gao

Postby DrJ » Sun May 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Also,

I Found this tyre assist function on the meter cluster. It's stated runflat tyres on activated or sth... Do you guys know what's the use of this function? If I change to non runflat tyres, how it will affect this function? Thanks.
DrJ
Kopi Gao

Next

Return to Other Modifications